Ferri di cavallo are soft butter cookies dipped in chocolate.
A typical Christmas recipe from my region Puglia, but these cookies are so delicious to eat throughout the year.
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
REST TIME: 1 hour
COOK TIME: 8 minutes
TOT TIME: 1 hour and 30 minutes
14.1 oz of bleached all porpouse flour
8.8 oz of margarine
5.2 oz of confectioners sugar
1/2 sachet of baking powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Bring margarine to room temperature and put it in a bowl with confectioners sugar. Mix all toghether for some minutes.
- Add baking powder, vanilla and egg and keep mixing.
- Add flour little by little and keep mixing until mixture is smooth.
- Make a ball with your hands and cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Make stripes of 0.5 cm / 0.19 inch with the dough. Then cut the stripes and make horseshoe shape.
- Put cookies on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and bake at 180 °C / 356 °F for 8 minutes.
- Let cookies cool.
- Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler (bain marie) and then dipp the cookies in it.
- Lay cookies on a baking rack and rest them until chocolate harden.
You can stored the cookies for up two weeks in an airtight container or in a cookie jar.
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe and receive new recipes on your email!!