If you love Italian cakes, make this amazing and delicious baked fruit tart.
CRUST: (Makes two 10″ (22) cm crostata or tart crusts)
- 2 1/3 cups or 10.7 oz flour
- 5 oz. butter
- 1/2 cup or 3.5 oz. sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
FILLING: For 1 crostata or tart
- 2.2 lbs. pears – peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 TB lemon juice
TOPPING: For 1 crostata or tart
- 10 oz.fresh ricotta, well drained
- 3 TB sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of cinnamon of cinnamon
- 1 ½ oz slivered almonds
- Mix together the sugar, flour, and lemon zest for the crust.
- Cut in the butter until it forms bits about the size of peas in the flour mixture.
- Add the egg, mix and knead briefly.
- Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In the meantime, prepare the pears and mix them with the sugar and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta with the sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon and keep in fridge.
- Roll out the dough on a floured board – you will actually have enoughd dough for two 10” (22.5 cm) tarts, but the filling recipe is for one tart.
- Place dough in tart pan, cutting away any excess over 1/2 inch (1 cm) and fold over edges towards the inside and press against sides,
- Extra dough can be kneaded together, wrapped in plastic and kept in fridge up to 3 days, or frozen (I like to roll it out and place in a tart pan before freezing.)
- Fill the tart pan with the pear mixture.
- Spread the ricotta mixture over the top of the pears.
- Sprinkle the slivered almonds over the top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at 375° F, until pears are tender and crust is crisp.
- We ate ours warm at breakfast, but it is good any time of day at any temperature!
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe and receive new recipes on your email!!
Subscribe to Blog via Email