These Double Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies from Plays Well With Butter are the ultimate Christmas cookies!
Soft & buttery chocolate thumbprint cookies, made intensely chocolatey thanks to instant espresso powder, filled with a simple fudgy ganache filling.
Totally decadent & chocolatey, & they couldn’t be easier to make.
SERVES: Yield 22-24 Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon Instant Espresso Powder
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces high-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, and espresso powder in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add butter to a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mixing for 1-2 minutes, until light & fluffy. Add both sugars and mix on medium-high speed until light & fluffy, 4-5 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the egg and vanilla, mixing to combine.
- Carefully add dry ingredient mix to wet ingredients. Mix on low speed, just until combined.
- Roll the dough into uniform 1-inch balls. Place the dough balls on prepared baking sheets, 1 inch apart. Using your thumb, press down on the center of each ball.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes, or until the edges are set. The cookies will spread slightly as they bake. If the center of the cookies puffs up a bit, use the back of a spoon to carefully press it back down.
- Meanwhile, add the chopped chocolate & heavy cream to a medium microwave-safe bowl. Melt the chocolate by microwaving in 30-second intervals, stopping to stir the mixture thoroughly after each interval. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the ganache filling into the center of each thumbprint cookie. Set aside or chill to set.
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe to Blog via Email