This recipe combines two family favorites into one delicious new all-time favorite!
While trying to make both dishes healthier, I created an easy Italian meal that my roommates have requested many times over.
It reminds me of childhood while looking forward into the future.
I will certainly be making this for my own children one day, hopefully not too soon (I’m kind of young…). Enjoy!
Start with the SPICY GARLIC TOMATO SAUCE:
- 2.5 tablespoons minced garlic
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 4 lbs tomatos, roughly chopped (I like Roma tomatoes for this recipe)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, cook garlic in oil for about 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, cover, and let simmer for about an hour.
- Stir occasionally.
While sauce is cooking, prepare the EGGPLANT:
- 3 eggplants
- PAM spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice each eggplant lengthwise.
- You should get about 4-6 slices per eggplant.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Line as many slices as you can on sheet in one layer.
- Spray each side of the slices with PAM. Bake for 5-10 min, until slightly brown, then flip and do the same to the other side.
- Repeat until all slices have been baked.
Assemble the LASAGNA:
- 1 quart ricotta cheese (the skim and low-fat ones are great, too!). Mixing a little warm water with the ricotta makes it easier to spread in the layering process.
- 4 to 6 cups shredded mozzarella (again skim or reduced-fat are fine. You can also use one of those shredded “Italian Cheese” combo packs like Sargento makes)
- In a 9×13 pyrex lasagna dish, start layering.
- Begin by pouring a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom, then one layer of eggplant slices, then spread ricotta over the slices, and lastly top with a layer of mozzarella.
- Continue until all eggplant is used up, or until there is no more room.
- You can go pretty high in the dish because as it all melt, it will decrease in height.
- Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbling.
Eat. Smile. Get someone else to wash the dishes.