This light and luscious lemon yogurt cake is gluten-free, zesty and delicious.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup icing sugar mixture, plus 1/3 cup, extra
- 1 lemon, rind nely grated, juiced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 2 tablespoons polenta
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat ricotta
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Fresh blueberries, to serve (optional)
- Fresh mint leaves, to serve (optional)
- Lemon zest, to serve
- Preheat oven to 338/302 F fan forced. Grease a round 6 inch cake pan and line the base and side with baking paper.
- Use a balloon whisk to whisk the eggs, icing sugar, lemon rind and vanilla in a bowl until combined and thickened slightly. Whisk in the yogurt.
- Use a large metal spoon to fold in the almond meal, polenta and baking powder until well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use a long serrated knife to slice the cake in half horizontally.
- Use electric beaters to beat the ricotta, extra icing sugar, milk and 2 teaspoons lemon juice in a bowl until smooth.
- Use a spatula to spread half the ricotta mixture evenly over the cut side of the cake base.
- Top with the remaining cake layer, cut side down. Spread the remaining ricotta mixture over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with blueberries, mint and lemon zest.
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe and receive new recipes on your email!!
Subscribe to Blog via Email