Whatever your memories of this venerable quick bread, here’s your chance to relive those happy days.
Serves: 10 to 12 slices
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus 1 teaspoon for greasing pan
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1¾ cups unbleached flour
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan with butter.
- Place the dates in a small bowl and sprinkle with the baking soda. Add the boiling water and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, egg and butter until smooth.
- Add the salt, flour and nuts and mix on low until just blended.
- Stir in the dates-soda-water mixture.
- Pour into greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until tester inserted in bread’s center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before turning out on a rack. Slice when cooled.
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe and receive new recipes on your email!!
Subscribe to Blog via Email