Enjoy this cheesy Italian-style soup made using onion, balsamic vinegar and broth – a wonderful lunch!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 4 medium)
- 1/4 teaspoon gray salt or sea salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 32 oz beef flavored broth
- 4 slices (3/4 inch thick) Italian country bread
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
In 12- to 14-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
Add garlic; cook and stir until garlic begins to brown. Stir in onions and salt.
Cook about 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium.
Cook about 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown.
Stir in sage and vinegar.
Cook 2 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated.
Stir in broth. Simmer over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, set oven control to broil.
Sprinkle bread with cheese; place on cookie sheet.
Broil with tops 4 to 6 inches from heat until cheese is melted (watch carefully).
Place 1 slice of bread on each serving of soup.