Directly from Sicilian tradition, one of the most delicious Italian cake.
- 4 oz (112 gr) butter at room temp
- 1 ½ cups (300 gr) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups (325 gr) flour
- 1 tsp (5 gr) baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) *milk
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) *yogurt
- 1 TB grated lemon peel
- 2 TB (30 ml) lemon juice
- 4 TB (60 ml) lemon juice
- ½ cup (100 gr) sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- Grease and flour a 12-cup (3 liter) bundt cake or tube pan, and preheat oven to 325° F (170° C).
- Mix the milk and yogurt together and set aside (*alternatively, use 1 cup (220 ml) of milk with 2 tsp of lemon juice, and let sit 15 minutes).
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together and set aside
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter until it is soft and fluffy, then beat in the sugar until light.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk until well blended.
- Stir in the lemon peel and lemon juice.
- Spread the batter evenly in the pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in cake is clean.
- (While cake is baking, make the Lemon Glaze by heating the lemon juice in a small saucepan and stirring in the sugar, and keep warm.)
- Remove the cake from the oven and immediately poke several holes in the top of the cake with a long skewer or toothpick.
- Pour a bit more than 1/2 of the Lemon Glaze over the cake.
- Let cake cool in pan for 20 minutes, then turn out onto rack.
- Mix 1 tsp of lemon zest into the remaining lemon glaze and brush or spoon it over the top and sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle the remaining tsp of lemon zest over the top of the cake.