Called in Naples “frittata di spaghetti”, the spaghetti pizza pie, is easy a traditional dish of Campania region and of neapolitan cuisine.
It is a pasta mess that was born as a dish of recovery.
The paste is mixed with fresh eggs, grated cheese, ham and pepper.
There can be various versions of spaghetti pizza pie.
Red one with tomato, or white, even if, the Pizza Pasta pie can be customize to liking.
Many ingredients to be added: peas, sauteed mushrooms, bacon, cheese, or with vegetables. In the gastronomic tradition of Neapolitan, spaghetti pizza is a preparation also sold as of street food.
Yield: 6 servings.
SPAGHETTI FRITTATA RECIPE
- 8 ounces spaghetti, (or 4 cups cooked spaghetti)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 strips uncooked bacon, diced
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tomato, diced (optional)
1) Cook spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but firm. Drain and refresh with cold water.
2) Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Add bacon and cook until browned.
Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Transfer mixture to a small bowl and let cool slightly. Wipe out pan.
3) Whisk together eggs, egg whites and milk in a large bowl.
Stir in the onions, Parmesan, parsley, basil, salt and pepper.
4) Spray pan really well with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat.
Pour in egg mixture and distribute evenly in pan.
Cook until underside is golden, moving pan around on burner to ensure even cooking, about 6 minutes.
Invert a large platter over skillet, grasp platter and skillet with oven mitts and carefully turn over.
Lift off skillet and spray it again with nonstick cooking spray.
Slide frittata back into the skillet and cook until bottom is golden. Slide frittata onto a platter. Garnish with tomatoes, if using.