This chocolate pie tastes really good as a chilled dessert with seasonal berries and whipped cream or ice-cream.
The pastry shell can be bought from your local supermarket for a coulple of dollars, or can be made using a short crust pastry mix.
- 1 ready-made pie or tart crust
- 315mL (1 1/3 cups) double cream
- 2 level tablespoons caster (granulated) sugar
- Small pinch of salt
- 115g (4 oz./1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 455g (16 oz.) Best quality cooking chocolate, broken up into small chunks
- 100mL (1/3 to 1/2 cup) cold milk
Place double cream, sugar, and pinch of salt in pan and bring to a boil.
As soon as the mixture has boiled, remove from heat and add butter and chocolate.
Stir until it has compleatly melted.
Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
While cooling, stir in at least 3/4 of the cold milk until smooth and shiny.
Sometimes this mixture looks like a split.
Allow mixture to cool down some and whisk in the rest of the cold milk until smooth.
(If extra milk is needed that is okay).
Scrape the mixture into the pastry shell, and allow it to cool for around 1-2 hours.
Serve with fresh berries and ice cream.
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe and receive new recipes on your email!!
Subscribe to Blog via Email