Sweet, soft, chocolaty… anything except pure bliss!
The Christmas log recipe is definitely the perfect choice to amaze your guests!
This soft roll filled with chocolate ganache and decorated with flakes of organic dark chocolate is a luscious Christmas cake that will sweeten your holiday moments.
The log shape is a symbol of Christmas in the Northern Europe and the chocolate cover is decorated to make it look like the bark of trees.
In our Christmas log cake we don’t draw the traditional cortical veins, but we’ll add some chocolate flakes.
Instead to make a classic decoration, use a fork to draw veins in the chocolate layer.
Finally sparke with icing sugar.
- 5 eggs
- 0.5 oz honey
- 1 vanilla pod
- 5 oz sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 3.5 oz 00 flour
- 10.5 oz dark chocolate
- 10.5 oz Liquid fresh cream
- 9 oz dark chocolate (for decorations)
To make the Christmas log biscuit:
- separate the egg yolks from the whites;
- take the egg yolks and mix them with honey, vanilla, 3 oz sugar and beat for 10 minutes until the mixture will be foamy;
- mix the remaining sugar with the egg whites, a pinch of salt and whip;
- now mix the two creams obtained and gently, with the help of a spatula, and add the sifted flour while mixing;
- stretch the batter with a spatula on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper (½ inch);
- bake in a preheated oven for 6 minutes at 428° F.
Take off the base of the cake and sparkle with sugar, wrap with plastic wrap to retain moisture and remain resilient.
How to make chocolate ganache:
- chop the chocolate (10.5 oz);
- in a little saucepan heat fresh cream, when it boils turn off the fire and add chocolate (use whisks to mix quickly);
- now put this bowl into another larger bowl with ice and whip for 10-15 minutes with electric whisk.
When the base of the cake is cool, cover it with a layer of chocolate ganache, keeping the edge free. Roll the filled dough, wrap with plastic film and put the roll in the fridge for 1 hour.
To prepare the cake decoration
- melt the chocolate à bain-marie or in the microwave;
- spread the chocolate on a parchment paper and let it cool;
- cut the chocolate sheet obtained into stripes;
- breaking with your hands, obtain irregular choclate flakes;
- now take the roll, cover it with the remaining ganache and decorate with chocolate flakes to create the effect of the wood trunk.
Et Voila, your Christmas log is ready!
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe and receive new recipes on your email!!
Subscribe to Blog via Email