This simple Eggplant Mozzarella Basil dish is a favorite in Sicily and Sardinia. It is similar to Parmesan but without the gravy and breading.
This enables you to taste more of the natural eggplant flavor.
You can use regular fresh mozzarella for this recipe but a nice smoked mozzarella (mozzarella affumicata) truly enhances the overall flavor of the dish.
Even a garlic or herb flavored mozzarella will be delicious on top of the eggplant.
You can serve this Eggplant Mozzarella Basil dish all by itself or on top of pasta.
My favorite is between two slices of fresh toasted Italian bread rubbed with a garlic clove. It’s so good. Enjoy.
- 1 large eggplant
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 20 basil leaves, chopped
- 10 slices of smoked mozzarella
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the eggplant into 1/4 inch circles and layer them in a slightly oiled baking dish.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle more olive oil over the top and bake for 30 to 40 minutes turning once throughout that time.
- Sprinkle the top with chopped basil.
- Place sliced of smoked mozzarella over the top and broil for 2 minutes until the cheese is melted and slightly bubbly. Be careful not to burn the cheese.
Serves 4 to 6 people
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe and receive new recipes on your email!!
Subscribe to Blog via Email