A delicious Italian recipe for children and granchildren.
- 5 apples
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla pod or a few drops of good vanilla essence
- 5 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2/3 cup butter
- Small packet (17 g /heaped tablespoon) baking powder
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/340°F. Put the butter into a pot and melt in the oven, taking care that it doesn’t burn.
- Peel the apples and cut them into small pieces. Add the lemon juice and 50 g (1/4 cup) of the sugar. Mix together and set aside.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl. Add the remaining sugar and beat together well.
- Add the melted butter, the vanilla, the flour and the baking powder, mixing well.
- Add the apples.
- Put the mixture in a 12 inch/30 cm cake tin, sprinkle the toasted pine nuts on top and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Serve with whipped cream, custard or vanilla ice cream.
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe and receive new recipes on your email!!