This is an old Italian ricotta cake no butter recipe from the wartime when butter was scarce.
It is not a creamy cake like an American cheesecake, but a soft spongy cake that you can serve with tea.
It is so easy to make that you won’t even remember it was you who made it.
This cake is very simple to make and you only need the following ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cups of ricotta
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 1//2 cups of flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 package (3 tbsp) baking powder
- 1 tsp of either lemon zest, orange zest, orange blossom water or vanilla
Making the batter:
- First mix the ricotta with the sugar until it becomes fluffy
- Add one egg at a time until combined
- Combine the flour with the baking powder, add to the mix the dry ingredients and the flavouring of your choice
- Cover a baking tin (25 cm 10 ” diameter) with parchment paper and use margarine to butter the tin if no butter is available
- Pour the batter into the tin
- Bake the cake in a hot oven at 356 F for 40 minutes
- Let it cook down for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe and receive new recipes on your email!!
Subscribe to Blog via Email