While this pudding is perfectly wonderful all on its own, you can easily dress it up with different toppings.
I pretty much always top off pudding with a little dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
They’re just such perfect companions!
During berry season, I can’t resist tossing some fresh berries on top.
But, I also love it with toasted coconut or nuts or chocolate chips or some combination of all of that.
That vanilla flavor is complemented by so many different things that the possibilities seem endless!
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, vanilla bean paste, or seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean
- sweetened whipped cream, berries, toasted coconut, chocolate, or any of your favorite toppings for garnish
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Add about 1/4 cup milk and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the egg yolks and the remainder of the milk.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, whisking frequently, until the mixture thickens and just starts to bubble.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir constantly while cooking. Continue cooking until the mixture thickens (about 5-6 minutes).
- Remove pan from heat. Add the butter and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
- Transfer the pudding to a small bowl or to individual serving bowls. Place plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- Garnish if desired.
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe and receive new recipes on your email!!
Subscribe to Blog via Email