An authentic Italian recipe from our kitchen to yours. Buon Appetito!
|Servings: 12 – 15|
|Total time: 90 min|
Ingredients for Cookies
– 2 cups all purpose flour
– 2 large eggs
– 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– Zest of 1/2 a lemon
– 1 tablespoon milk
– 1/8 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Glaze
– 1 cup powdered sugar
– Juice of 1 lemon
– Water as needed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar thoroughly until you have the consistency of lightly whipped cream. Next, add the eggs, vanilla, milk and the lemon zest to the bowl and mix well until all ingredients are combined.
3. In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix well.
4. With the electric mixer on low to medium speed, gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar, butter and eggs mixture. Continue mixing until all ingredients are combined well and begin to form a ball in the mixing bowl.
5. Once mixed thoroughly, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough a few times to make sure it is pliable. If it is too wet, add additional flour as necessary to make the dough the consistency of Play-Doh.
6. Using a dough cutter or a knife, divide the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Roll each ball into a rope about 1/4 inch thick and 3 to 4 inches long. Join the two ends of the rope together and form the dough into a ring. Place each formed ring onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Once all rings are formed, place the baking sheet into the oven on the middle rack(s). If baking 2 sheets at once, half-way through the cooking time, rotate the baking sheets so that the cookies bake evenly.
8. Bake the cookies for 30 – 35 minutes or until golden.
9. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool. Continue baking as necessary.
10. While the cookies are baking, in a bowl, add the powdered sugar, lemon juice and a very small amount of water. Whisk the ingredients well to form a liquid mixture about the consistency of creamed soup. If the mix is too wet, add more powdered sugar. If it is too dry, add more water as necessary.
11. When the cookies have thoroughly cooled dip them into the glaze to cover. Remove the cookie from the glaze with a fork and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Continue this process until all cookies are glazed. Decorate the cookies with colored sprinkles for color. Allow 2 hours to overnight for the glaze to harden well.
12. Store cookies in an air-tight, glass container in a cool, dry area.
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe and receive new recipes on your email!!
Subscribe to Blog via Email