This is your basic dough for any Neapolitan-style pizza.
Use all-purpose flour for a more authentic, cracker-like crust for your pizza.
Bread flour will give the dough more of a chew.
As with any yeast bread recipe, the exact amounts of flour, water and rising time are dependent on the day’s weather.
Follow your intuition.
Dough for 2 medium or 4 individual pizzas
- Active dry yeast — 1 (1/4-ounce) packet
- Sugar — pinch
- Lukewarm (110°F) water — 1/4 cup
- Flour, bread or all-purpose — 3 to 3 1/2 cups
- Salt — 2 teaspoons
- Lukewarm (110°F) water — 1 to 1 1/2 cups
- Olive oil — 2 tablespoons
- Stir the yeast and sugar into the 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl. Let set for about 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
- Pour yeast mixture into a large bowl. Pour 1 cup of the flour in with the yeast and mix together well with a wooden spoon. Add another 2 cups of the flour and about 1/2 of the remaining water. Mix together with your hands until it all comes together. Add more water as you mix it to form a smooth dough, not too sticky but not too dry. Add more flour or water as needed to get a good consistency.
- Remove to a lightly floured work surface and knead for another 8 to 10 minutes until smooth.
- Form into a ball. Wipe a large bowl with a little olive oil, place the dough in the bowl and flip the dough over to cover it with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a towel and place in a warm space to rise until doubled in size, anywhere from 1 to 3 hours.
- Punch the dough down with your fists and knead it lightly for another 2 or 3 minutes. Cut the into 2 or 4 pieces and form each piece into a ball. Cover the balls lightly with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot until doubled again in size.
- Roll out and use for any pizza recipe.
By Mixer with Dough Hook
- For Step 2 above, put all ingredients in the following order into the mixer bowl: yeast mixture, flour, water, salt, olive oil. Mix together for 8-10 minutes on medium speed until smooth. Add more flour or water as needed to get a good consistency.
- Remove dough from mixer and knead by hand 1 or 2 minutes. Proceed with Step 4 above.
By Food Processor
- For Step 2 above, put all ingredients in the following order into the processor bowl: yeast mixture, flour, water, salt, olive oil. Pulse machine until dough comes together in a large ball. This happens quickly. Add more flour or water as needed to get a good consistency.
- Remove dough from processor and knead by hand 1 or 2 minutes. Proceed with Step 4 above.
Pizza Dough Variations
- Whole-wheat Pizza Dough: Substitute 1/4 cup of the regular flour with whole-wheat flour. You may have to add a little more water.
- Herbed Pizza Dough: Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh herbs to the dough in Step 2 if you like: basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary.
- Freeze the dough after it is portioned into balls for later use. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then set at room temperature to complete the second rise.
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe and receive new recipes on your email!!