This Healthy Bruschetta recipe makes a great appetizer or a light meal.
It’s a simple combination of fresh tomatoes, long green onions, roasted red peppers and fresh basil.
This Tuscan dish started out as basically toasted bread with oil and garlic.
Now it has evolved into many different combinations of ingredients and flavors.
This recipe is the simplest, yet one of the most flavorful and nutritious.
Make a whole bunch of these Healthy Bruschetta snacks and serve them at a party or just enjoy them yourself.
- Whole wheat baguettes, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup of light extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic
- 8 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 or 3 strips of roasted red peppers, diced
- 3 long green onions, finely chopped
- 10 basil leaves, chopped
- 3 Tbls. of balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbls of light extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 8oz package of low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Brush to pieces of bread with the olive oil and rub the garlic all over the bread.
- Place the bread on a cookie sheet and bake for 5 minutes on each side until the bread becomes crisp and slightly browned.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the tomatoes, roasted red peppers, chopped onions, basil, vinegar and oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon around 2 tablespoons of the tomato mixture on the garlic bread.
- Top with shredded mozzarella
Makes around 12 to 14 pieces
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe to Blog via Email