Here is my classic ragu (meat & tomato) sauce. Perfect for spaghetti, lasagna, tagliatelle …. the list goes on!
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 1 med onion, finely diced
- 1 rib of celery, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic
- quarter pound of sausage meat
- half pound ground veal
- 1.5 pounds peeled, seeded, pureed fresh tomatoes or 1 large can of peeled tomatoes
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
In a pot add a couple glugs of olive oil & sauté clove of garlic until brown then discard.
On medium heat sauté veggies slowly for about 10 minutes – so they are not brown but translucent.
Raise the heat slightly & add in meat – breaking up the pieces with a wooden spoon.
Season with salt & pepper.
Add tomatoes & half a glass of water.
Bring up to boil.
Lower to a very low simmer for 2.5 hours stirring occasionally.
Toss with your favorite pasta.
If sauce becomes too thick, add a little pasta water.
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe and receive new recipes on your email!!
Subscribe to Blog via Email