An authentic Italian recipe from our kitchen to yours.
|Servings: 6 – 8|
Total time: 1 hr + time to prepare the pizza dough
– 1 recipe of our Quick and Easy Pizza Dough or prepared pizza dough
– 1 recipe of our Simple Homemade Italian Sausage without the casings or
your favorite Italian sausage, casings removed
– 3 cups broccoli florets or broccoli rabe, cleaned and chopped
– 1/4 medium onion, minced
– 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
– 8 ounces provola cheese, grated
– 1 pinch hot pepper flakes (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. If you do not have the pizza dough already prepared, follow the recipe for the pizza dough. While the dough is rising the filling can be made.
2. In a sauté pan over medium high heat, add 1/3 cup of olive oil and the minced onion. Sauté the ingredients until the onion begins to turn translucent.
3. Break the sausage into pieces and add it to the pan with the onion. Continue sautéing the mixture and breaking the sausage into small pieces so that it browns well on all sides.
4. Once the sausage is cooked, remove it from the pan onto a plate. Lower the heat of the pan to medium and add one cup of water to the pan.
5. Add the broccoli to the pan; bring the water in the pan to a simmer. Cover the pan and cook the broccoli well, 10 – 15 minutes, until it is very soft and can be broken up with a fork. Add small amounts of water to the pan as needed to cook the broccoli.
6. When the broccoli has cooked, remove it from the heat and drain off any excess water. Mash the broccoli almost into a puree using a fork, and then add the sausage back to the pan. Combine the ingredients well. Taste and add salt and hot pepper as desired.
7. Line a sheet pan, casserole dish or large, oven-safe skillet with parchment paper. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil onto the paper and spread it to cover the paper well.
8. On a floured work surface, divide the pizza dough into 2 equal balls. Roll out the first ball of dough large enough to cover the bottom of the sheet pan or the bottom and sides of the casserole dish or skillet.
9. Place the rolled dough onto the oiled parchment paper, letting the edges of the dough drape over the sides of the pan, casserole or skillet. Gently fit the dough into your dish so that it rests into the form of your pan.
10. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the dough and sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the dough.
11. Using a spoon or your fingers, spread the sausage and broccoli filling over the dough to cover the surface evenly and thoroughly.
12. Roll out the second ball of dough on a floured work surface to cover the sheet pan or dish. Gently lay the rolled dough over the filling.
13. Seal the 2 layers of dough by rolling the edges and pinching them together. Cut and discard any dough that is in excess.
14. Using a knife, poke several holes evenly through the top of the dough.
15. Place the pan or dish into the oven on the lower middle rack and bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until it is golden brown and cooked through.
16. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for 15 – 20 minutes prior to cutting and serving.
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe and receive new recipes on your email!!