Spaghetti al Cartoccio is simply Italian for Spaghetti in parchment.
If you’ve not baked with parchment this is an incredibly FUN and new way to enjoy a dish.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf Italian parsley – chopped
- 2 cups fresh roma tomatoes – chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- kosher salt/pepper
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano – grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil – chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers – drained
- Into a large saute pan add: oil, parsley and garlic. Cook over medium heat for approx 1 minute. Do not let garlic brown.
- Add tomatoes and wine. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir often.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to LOW and simmer for approx 15-20 minutes. Stirring as necessary.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place a large pot of generously salted water onto boil. When boiling, add spaghetti and cook until al dente. Reserve some of the pasta water in case needed. Drain spaghetti and set aside.
- WHILE pasta and sauce are cooking, prepare your parchment paper packets. For a large packet you’ll need approx 24″ of parchment paper that has been doubled for thickness. If you’re making individual packets they should be approx 6″ of parchment paper (again doubled for thickness). It’s better to have MORE parchment than less.
- Once pasta is cooked and drained, add it to the saute pan and toss to combine.
- Spread spaghetti lengthwise onto the parchment paper. Sprinkle with cheese, capers & basil.
- Fold top of parchment paper over, like you would fold a lunch bag. Twist sides to seal.
- Place parchment packs onto a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for approx 8-10 minutes.
- Be careful when opening as steam will escape.
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe and receive new recipes on your email!!