Is a deliciously special dessert from Naples.
This Sfogliatella Riccia recipe is basically simple to make.
The only difficulty is the shaping of the dough so I included a Youtube video to demonstrate how the shells for the Sfogliatella Riccia are formed.. Enjoy!
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semolina
- 2 Tbls of sugar
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of lard or butter, melted
- Combine flours, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add butter, cutting it into the dough until blended.
- Slowly add water.
- Knead until firm. Form into a ball, cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of semolina
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/8 tsp of cinnamon
- 4oz of candied orange or lemon peel, chopped
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- Add milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and slowly add semolina flour.
- Stir constantly so as to avoid lumps.
- Simmer three to four minutes.
- Remove from the heat, pour into a bowl and allow to cool.
- Pass the ricotta through a sieve..
- Add the ricotta, egg, sugar, candied fruit, and sugar to semolina. Beat well. Set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Divided it into two equal parts.
- Place the dough on a floured board and roll very thin with a rolling pin into an 18 inch square.
- Brush the thin pastry with butter.
- Roll the dough up like a jelly roll.
- Cut the roll into a number of 4 inch pieces.
- Pick up one piece of the dough in your hand.
- Press your thumb in the center of the pastry and push it down to form a hole like a cup. (See Video)
- Fill the cup with 2 tablespoons of filling.
- Fold the cup until the open edges touch.
- Press the edges together to seal the pastry.
- Brush the top with beaten egg yolk.
- Repeat above until all pastry and filling are used.
- Preheat over to 425°F.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the shells on the paper and bake for 15 minutes or until brown.
- Let the pastry cool on the cookie sheet for five minutes.
- Then place on a rack to completely cool .
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar and serve.
Join my Page and Discover the Italy:
Subscribe and receive new recipes on your email!!
Subscribe to Blog via Email